|Memory Alpha: Babel|
|Search user languages|
I've been a trekkie since near birth, I suppose. My mother was a trek fan and we watched it with some regularity all through the 70's when it was on. I even had the bridge playset with most of the character figures, and yes, it was destroyed. As I recall, I covered Spock with permanent marker (he had come down with some sort of disease). So, I am personally responsible for increasing the value of those figures and sets to some degree.
It looks like I'm the only one here with the translation skills necessary for boosting the value of the esperanto wiki. Should be fun. By the way, Esperanto is ridiculously easy (especially if you have any other second languages under your belt). Most people learn the basics of communication within a few hours and basic fluency inside of a month or two. Advanced fluency comes about with a bit more aggressive practice, but if you apply yourself to it, within a year I guarantee you'll speak it at least as well as you do your second language (if you've got one).
...and by the way, for those of you with the "English is the international language" comment -- English is spoken natively by 5% of the world. To put that in perspective, the United States's population is just about 4% of the world's population. As a second language English is spoken by another 5%. That's not really all that much. The vast majority of the world does not speak a word of even the top five spoken languages at all.
Anyway, I'll shut up now and just drop some links for those who are interested.
- Lernu is possibly the best language learning website out there for any language.
- The Language Challenge This is a quick video of Claude Prion discussing the advantages of Esperanto. It's worth watching.
- Inteligentaj Personoj lernas la lingvon Esperanton rapide kaj facile.
- Esperanto estas la moderna, kultura lingvo por la tuta mondo.
- Simpla, fleksebla, belsona, gxi estas la pratika solvo de la problemo de universala interkompreno.
- Esperanto meritas vian seriozan konsideron.
I'll bet you got at least 90% of that... (belsona is usually the one that people have trouble with. It's means beautiful-sounding)