- Several of the references below are explicit uses of the S.I. metric unit. Otherwise it is not impossible that what is used is the US/Imperial unit ( = 2000 pounds).
Units of mass
- In 2268, Deep Space K-7 had 2 tons of quadrotriticale in its silos, on hold for Sherman's Planet. (TOS: "The Trouble with Tribbles")
- The captain's yacht of the USS Enterprise-E carried 7 tons of ultritium explosives in 2375 (Star Trek: Insurrection).
- The cave-in caused in the caverns by the Son'a on the Ba'ku planet had almost 4 metric tons of rock blocking the entryway. (Star Trek: Insurrection)
- Prior to its destruction, the Bok'Nor delivered 14 metric tons of golside ore to the Regulon system. (DS9: "The Maquis, Part I")
- A single humpback whale has a mass of "about 40 tons." (Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home)
- Vosk demanded 86 tons of aluminum plating and 170 tons of carbon steel from his Nazi allies. (ENT: "Storm Front")
- The Vidiian asteroid discovered by Voyager contained "anywhere from 500 to 1,000 metric tons of dilithium. (VOY: "Phage")
- In 2373, Voyager discovered a gallicite vein with "a yield of nearly a kiloton; enough to completely refit the ship's warp coils." (VOY: "Blood Fever")
- Two Bolian freighters carried several thousand tons of selenium and rhodium nitrite when they disappeared near the Badlands in 2373. (DS9: "For the Uniform")
- The Ferengi market price of 2,000 tons of Kohlanese barley was 182 bars of gold-pressed latinum in 2371. (DS9: "Prophet Motive")
- The Xepolite freighter commanded by Drofo Awa claimed to have 5 kilotons of Regrean wheat husks in his cargo hold. (DS9: "The Maquis, Part II")
- Voyager retrieved 8 kilotons of debris from the Borg probe, mostly fragments of its hull. (VOY: "Dark Frontier")
- The Quarren facility was capable of producing 8,000 metric tons of tylium per second at 94% thermal efficiency. (VOY: "Workforce")
- The Balok's pilot vessel had a "mass, a little under 11,000 metric tons." (TOS: "The Corbomite Maneuver")
Units of energy
A ton is also a way of indicating the energy released by an explosion of one metric ton of TNT - 4.184 gigajoules. In the 20th century nuclear weapons were graded by megatonnage - by the millions of megagrams of TNT they equalled.
- 250 tons was yield of the thermokinetic explosion produced by Romulan tricobalt mines used in the 22nd century. (ENT: "Minefield")
- A fusion explosion of 97.835 megatons will result if the impulse engine of a Constitution-class starship is overloaded. (TOS: "The Doomsday Machine")