The Time of Awakening was a period in Vulcan history when the violent and warlike Vulcan race switched to more peaceful ways. It occurred sometime during the 4th century of the Earth calendar, although some Vulcans had already begun to mentally train themselves to suppress their emotions in the middle of the 3rd century. (VOY: "Random Thoughts")
The change was brought on by a Vulcan named Surak, who preached a philosophy of using logic to control emotions, as well as total pacifism. He was effective in spreading his teaching across Vulcan, though he encountered heavy resistance from many Vulcans, especially "those who marched beneath the raptor's wings", even starting a nuclear war. Although Surak died of radiation sickness at Mount Seleya shortly before the last battle against these factions, his writings were preserved in the Kir'Shara.
There are several novels that deal with the Time of Awakening, though revelations in Star Trek: Enterprise's Vulcan Reformation trilogy have rendered them somewhat inconsistent with the Star Trek canon. These include:
- The Romulan Way (Rihannsu #2) by Diane Duane and Peter Morwood
- In this novel the Romulans refer to the Time of Awakening as "The Sundering"
- Spock's World by Diane Duane
- Vulcan's Soul trilogy by Josepha Sherman and Susan Shwartz
- The Yesterday Saga Books #3-5 by A.C. Crispin (canceled)