If I remember correctly, the Dax symbiont rejected him, didn't it? I think this article needs some more details. --From Andoria with Love 05:02, 24 Nov 2005 (UTC)
- Dax didn't reject Verad. Dax was taken back from Verad in order to save Jadzia's life.docdude316 20:27, 24 May 2006 (UTC)
- True, Docdude316, true...--Mac Lover 03:06, 4 August 2006 (UTC)
- As far as I remember a symbiont needs time to bond with its host. It can be removed before its fully bonded but once its bonding, removing it would kill the host. In the case of Verad though he was not a proper Dax host because he opted to return the symbiont before the time limit was up.
Why is this under Verad Dax, instead of just Verad? He was Dax for all of three lines in the article. I know it redirects from Verad to Verad Dax, I think it should go the other way. AyalaofBorg 23:30, 20 April 2007 (UTC)
- Verad only joined with Dax for a few hours, just as Riker joined with Odan for only a few hours, since the symbiont could not survive outside a host for more than a few hours and a Trill transport was over 40 hours away. (TNG: "The Host") Similarly, following Jadzia's death, the Dax symbiont took a turn for the worse, and since Ezri was the only Trill aboard the USS Destiny taking the Dax symbiont from Deep Space Nine to Trill, she had little choice but to undergo the joining procedure after only fifteen minutes. (DS9: "Shadows and Symbols") Neither the trill symbiont nor the joined trill can survive if their isoboramine levels remain critically low for over 48 hours. (DS9: "Equilibrium") Dax returned to Jadzia in less than 48 hours, and Jadzia, the Dax symbiont and Verad all lived. (DS9: "Invasive Procedures") Therefore it is possible that since the the host and symbiont did not pass this point of no return, the joining was not complete and the Dax symbiont does not permanently retain the lifetime of all Verad's memories. If that is the case, then the Odan symbiont also would not retain the lifetime of Riker's memories.
- Or perhaps because Verad was joined with the Dax symbiont after Jadzia. Thus he would not count as a "former" host.
The parts of this that aren't outright speculation should be covered at Trill and Symbiont (or might already be there), since the facts are mostly about those subjects and only loosely tied to this one. A link from here to there would be better, if we do need one, since it wouldn't require bogging down this article with information that only supports conclusions based on canon, instead of supporting canon itself. - Archduk3 06:23, August 25, 2012 (UTC)