- It was previously believed that 2218 was the year in which the Federation made first contact with the Klingon Empire. Events on Star Trek: Enterprise, however, have proven this false.
- Some fans speculate that through the intervention of the Suliban making Klaang crash land in Broken Bow made a change in the timeline.
=> I don't agree with the comment. Seeing how near the Klingon Empire is set :( , it is highly improbable that there are no contact with Klingons until 2218 (67 years) - Philoust123 11:50, 4 June 2006 (UTC)
- It is in italics because it is speculation, not cannon, and since it states "some fans," it is implied that other fans disagree with the statement. These other fans would seem to include you (it also includes me). --OuroborosCobra 12:31, 4 June 2006 (UTC)
- Despite the fact that those fans are wrong, of course... --From Andoria with Love 13:38, 4 June 2006 (UTC)
There are many fan speculations that I agree or disagree and I have no problem with them as long as they are coherent. But here, this speculation is more than highly irreconcilable with the fact that the Klingon Empire is set a few days from Earth (thanks ENT). In that case, 67 years is too long to be credible. This fan speculation comment would only create confusion among people who are looking for informations. - Philoust123 17:31, 4 June 2006 (UTC)
- the 2218 date comes from the Chronology which recycled a cut line from "Day of the Dove" that the hostilities between the Federation and Klingons started 50 years ago. It was later re-used in TUC where the figure changed to 75 years accordingly. Combined with a cite from TNG that "First contact lead to hostilities" it was stated as one and the same event in the Chronology. However there is no need to merge the TNG statement with this date. The Spaceflight Chronology (published after TMP) for example used 2151, while other material used 2170. -- Ⓚⓞⓑⓘ 18:04, 4 June 2006 (UTC)
- And remember, the Klingon Empire was located a few days from Earth in ENT's time, not necessarily in the TOS/TNG era. We still don't know what impact the Klingon augment virus will have as a whole on the empire, afterall. --From Andoria with Love 17:13, 5 June 2006 (UTC)
I've removed the following line (the same one discussed above):
- :Some fans speculate that through the intervention of the Suliban making Klaang crash land in ENT: "Broken Bow" made a change in the timeline and humans made first contact with the Klingons far earlier.
Which fans, exactly? What makes these fans so special as opposed to, say, those fans who might have other explanations? Plus, it's speculation, which we generally frown upon here. --From Andoria with Love 12:45, 18 March 2008 (UTC)