(written from a Production point of view)
Star Trek Continuum Edition Monopoly is a game produced by USAopoly and released in April 2009. It is the third of four Star Trek-themed Monopoly editions thus far produced by the company, and the first to use material from the latter three TV series (Deep Space Nine, Voyager, and Enterprise).
Compared with the earlier editions, the layout of the board has changed, having been updated to match that of the current release version of the standard Monopoly set, with the lowest-valued properties being colored brown instead of purple, and the "Tax" spaces now having flat 200 and 100 amounts instead of the old "10% or 200" and "75" values, respectively.
Game Specific Elements
The game plays exactly the same as the original Monopoly game, but the elements of the game are all based on the various facets of the "Prime Universe" of Star Trek:
- The playing pieces are small, pewter recreations of key items from Star Trek: Captain Kirk's command chair, a 23rd century Starfleet communicator, a Klingon bloodwine goblet, the Galileo shuttlecraft, a Vulcan lute and the 2290s version of the type 2 phaser.
- The "properties" are now different alien races and notable locations seen in various Star Trek eras, from whom you are "purchasing" permission to explore and allow ships to orbit their worlds.
- The money is designed to represent different denominations of gold-pressed latinum (although of a different design to that included with their Star Trek: The Next Generation Collector's Edition Monopoly).
- The houses and hotels are renamed starships and fleets, and recolored black and silver, respectively (as opposed to the green houses and red hotels in a standard Monopoly set).
- The Chance and Community Chest cards are now "Sensor Readings" and "Subspace Transmission" cards, respectively.
This version is not meant to be played in conjunction with the two previous games, which were capable of being combined together, as the game board does not include the "wormhole" space on the "GO" square that connects the other game boards.