(written from a Production point of view)
|First edition cover|
|Published:||2 June 1977|
November 1995 (Citadel edition)
322 (Citadel edition)
ISBN 0806516100 (Citadel edition)
The Citadel edition, published in 1995 was updated to include summaries of the first seven movies and key Star Trek: The Next Generation and Star Trek: Deep Space Nine episodes featuring TOS characters. However, the revised book was published too soon to contain any details from the DS9 episodes "The Sword of Kahless" and "Trials and Tribble-ations", the Star Trek: Voyager episode "Flashback", or Star Trek: First Contact.
The Concordance cross-referenced episodes, characters, alien species, etc. from both series. Trimble gave animated material equal weight to TOS in this book, and also included fan artwork and illustrations, indicative of its origins as a fandom publication.
Unfortunately there are mistakes throughout the book, especially in the cast lists. These lists were copied to the later editions of the Star Trek Encyclopedia with the errors remaining. This has also led to fan sites listing incorrect information. Some of these errors were corrected in the updated release, along with additional names and corrections from original Desilu and Paramount callsheets.
Contents (first edition)
- The Concordance has a special cover featuring an above view image of the saucer of a starship on it, with the secondary hull and nacelles on the back cover. Integrated into the front cover is a turn wheel which could be used to locate any Star Trek episode. As you turn the wheel to the episode you wish to locate, the associated stardate, call letters (abbreviated letters used to identify the episode by) and which page the episode summary can be found.
- "Dedicated to three men who made this book possible: Gene Roddenberry for creating Star Trek in the first place, John Trimble for believing I could get this book together, Martin LeVita for making certain that I did it!" - Bjo Trimble, page 5.
- by Bjo Trimble, pages 8-9.
by Dorothy Jones Heydt, page 10.
- page 11.
- Time Line
- Found on pages 12-13 is the list of episodes organized in order of stardate.
- Found on pages 14-15 is the list of episodes organized in alphabetical order, and the pages their summaries can be found on.
- Fan art
- Found on pages 19-31 includes a number of images created by many known and unknown fans. Fans who contributed include:
- Found on pages 123-255
- Located on page 256, includes an index of episode abbreviations and the pages they can be found on.
| Previous companion:|
First book in series
|Reference works|| Next companion:|
The Star Trek Compendium