(written from a Production point of view)
The Star Trek: The Next Generation Commemorative Chess Set was a standard chess game set produced by The Franklin Mint in 1995, shortly after the last episode of Star Trek: The Next Generation aired and before Star Trek Generations hit theaters.
Like its predecessor – the Star Trek Commemorative Chess Set – this was a standard chess set that consisted of a specially-designed game board that doubled as storage for the game pieces, but the style of the board emulated the LCARS displays of the USS Enterprise-D. Additionally, the pieces for this set were painted, fitted onto gold- or silver-plated discs, and set on large round crystal bases.
The pieces were as follows:
- King: Captain Jean-Luc Picard
- Queen: Counselor Deanna Troi
- Bishops: Commander William T. Riker and Lt. Cmdr. Data
- Knights: Lt. Cmdr. Geordi La Forge and Lt. Worf
- Rooks: The USS Enterprise-D
- Pawns: USS Enterprise-D Security Officers