(written from a Production point of view)
|Published:||October 2000–November 2007|
Star Trek: Starfleet Corps of Engineers (or Star Trek: SCE) is a novel series which follows a rapid-response team of the Starfleet Corps of Engineers. First released as eBooks by Pocket Books, the books are also collected in omnibus print releases. It was conceived and created by Keith R.A. DeCandido and John J. Ordover.
In September 2006, DeCandido announced that, as of #67, the series would be renamed Star Trek: Corps of Engineers and the numbering reset, in an attempt to bring new readers to the line. In addition, the reprints in hardcopy – starting with Aftermath – would be in trade paperback format, allowing six to eight eBooks to be included per volume. The number of eBooks published per year would be reduced from twelve to six, to allow other ranges to be developed.
It was announced in March 2008 that original eBook publications from Pocket Books would go on hiatus following the end of Slings and Arrows - trade paperback reprints of the existing eBooks would continue.
Series editor Keith R.A. DeCandido noted that the concept "was about ten years ahead of its time" and so failed to find the audience it needed, just as devices such as the Amazon Kindle entered the market. 
Although original eBooks returned in 2011, the Corps of Engineers series has not featured among them. However, the characters have made cameo appearances in other novels set in the 24th century.
As with the military of the 20th century, there has always been a Corps of Engineers – a group who builds bridges, fixes machines, and solves engineering problems. In Star Trek, this group solves engineering problems in space that are too complicated, or take too much time, for a larger starship crew to handle. When the USS Enterprise-E disables a deserted alien battlestation, for example, it is the SCE that comes to investigate it.
This series centers on the crew of the USS da Vinci, a Saber-class ship that serves as the transportation of an SCE team. The SCE reports to Captain Montgomery Scott (of the original Star Trek), who serves as their liaison with Starfleet Command and also pitches in when his vast store of knowledge can be of help.
USS da VinciEdit
The USS da Vinci (NCC-81623) is a Saber-class starship.
Omnibus print editionsEdit
- Have Tech, Will Travel
- Miracle Workers
- Some Assembly Required
- No Surrender
- Aftermath (published under Corps of Engineers banner)
- #29: Aftermath by Christopher L. Bennett
- #30: Ishtar Rising, Book 1 by Michael A. Martin & Andy Mangels
- #31: Ishtar Rising, Book 2 by Michael A. Martin & Andy Mangels
- #32: Buying Time by Robert Greenberger
- #33: Collective Hindsight, Book 1 by Aaron Rosenberg
- #34: Collective Hindsight, Book 2 by Aaron Rosenberg
- #35: The Demon, Book 1 by Loren L. Coleman & Randall N. Bills
- #36: The Demon, Book 2 by Loren L. Coleman & Randall N. Bills
- Grand Designs
- Creative Couplings
- #43: Paradise Interrupted by John S. Drew
- #44: Where Time Stands Still by Dayton Ward & Kevin Dilmore
- #45: The Art of the Deal by Glenn Greenberg
- #46: Spin by J. Steven York & Christina F. York
- #47: Creative Couplings, Book 1 by Glenn Hauman & Aaron Rosenberg
- #48: Creative Couplings, Book 2 by Glenn Hauman & Aaron Rosenberg
- #49: Small World by David Mack
- Out of the Cocoon
- What's Past
- #61: Progress (What's Past Book 1) by Terri Osborne
- #62: The Future Begins (What's Past Book 2) by Steve Mollmann & Michael Schuster
- #63: Echoes of Coventry (What's Past Book 3) by Richard C. White
- #64: Distant Early Warning (What's Past Book 4) by Dayton Ward & Kevin Dilmore
- #65: 10 is Better Than 01 (What's Past Book 5) by Heather Jarman
- #66: Many Splendors (What's Past Book 6) by Keith R.A. DeCandido
Corps of EngineersEdit
- Yet to be collected in a print omnibus.
- #1: Turn the Page by Dayton Ward & Kevin Dilmore
- #2: Troubleshooting by Robert Greenberger
- #3: The Light by Jeff D. Jacques
- #4: The Art of the Comeback by Glenn Greenberg
- #5: Signs from Heaven by Phaedra M. Weldon
- #6: Ghost by Ilsa J. Bick
- #7: Remembrance of Things Past, Book 1 by Terri Osborne
- #8: Remembrance of Things Past, Book 2 by Terri Osborne