(covers information from several alternate timelines)
The Romulan language was used within the Romulan Star Empire.
Its written form consists of square and rectangular letters. The Romulan spoken language had three dialects, and was difficult to distinguish from the Vulcan language to those not proficient in xenolinguistics. (Star Trek)
Words and phrasesEdit
- Chula: Place name of a valley on Romulus. (TNG: "The Defector")
- D'deridex: "Warbird", a term designating Romulan starships:
- Gol Gathol: A place name on Romulus (TNG: "The Defector")
- Jolan Tru: A salutation, used in the same way as "greetings" and "good-bye". (TNG: "Unification I", ENT: "United")
- Prod: Praetor or Commander. (Star Trek)
- Tal Shiar: The Romulan intelligence agency/secret police (TNG: "Unification I")
- Uhlan: A rank in the Romulan military. (TNG: "The Defector")
- Veruul: An expletive.
- Viinerine: A type of food. (TNG: "Face of the Enemy")
- Vorta Vor: The source of all creation. (Star Trek V: The Final Frontier)
- Uhn kan'aganna! Tehca zuhn ruga'noktan!
- Uhn Kan'aganna! Tehca zuhn! Neemasta kan'aganna uckwazta!
- Kuhn'ukchtacht zuhn vockwadai!
- Bar'ak t'stu annankana. (ENT: "Minefield")
- In Diane Duane's novel The Romulan Way, the Romulan language is said to be related to the Vulcan language. This suggests that during the Exodus of the Romulans, they abandoned most things Vulcan. "One thing they agreed on quickly was that they could not stop being Vulcan while they still spoke the language." In order to rectify this problem, the Romulans went back to old or "High" Vulcan and "aged" the language in another direction.
- In the novel Vulcan's Heart, Spock notices Romulans cursing in old Vulcan.
- The Romulan language font is called Kzhad, and was created by Monte Thrasher based on the shapes of LED displays.
- FASA gaming manuals referred to the Romulan word for the Romulan language as Romlastha.