(written from a Production point of view)
|Birth name:||Robert Bonchune|
|Date of birth:||15 September 1970|
|Place of birth:||Montreal, Quebec, Canada|
|Awards for Trek:||Emmy Award 3 wins, 3 nominations|
|Roles:||Digital Effects Supervisor/Artist|
Robert "Rob" Bonchune (born 15 September 1970; age 42) is a digital effects expert who worked on the Star Trek productions, Star Trek: Deep Space Nine, Star Trek: Voyager and Star Trek: Enterprise while in the employ of consecutively, Foundation Imaging, and Eden FX.
Bonchune shared Emmy Awards for his CGI work on the Voyager episodes "Dark Frontier" and "Endgame" and the Enterprise pilot, "Broken Bow". He also received an additional three Emmy nominations for VOY's "Timeless", DS9's "What You Leave Behind", and ENT's "Dead Stop".
Star Trek contributions
CGI work with:
- Star Trek: The Motion Picture
- USS Enterprise (NCC-1701): Secondary hull, pylons, neck and engines for TMP DE
- USS Enterprise (NCC-1701-D): remapping and upgrading of lights
- Columbia NX-02: remap
He was also responsible for many planets, props, anomalies and astrometrics 3D graphics. His other contributions include many texture tweaks and painting on ships during filming.
Hailing from Montreal, Canada, Bonchune moved after graduating college to Los Angeles in order "to change his view", according to his mini biography in Starship Spotter. He first worked as a physical studio model maker for television and movies (even as late as 1995 when he contributed as such to Apollo 13, albeit uncredited), before an opening presented itself on the 1993 science fiction television show SeaQuest DSV at Amblin Imaging, where he taught himself the craft of CGI modeling. As digital artist he proceeded to also work for Foundation on the science fiction series Babylon 5, as well as on the 1997 movie The Jackal. After his tenure on the Star Trek franchise, he quit Eden FX and joined NBC to work on Battlestar Galactica and its follow-up Caprica. More recently, after joining Pixomondo Visual Effects in 2011, he has worked as CGI senior animator on the television series Hawaii Five-O (2011), and Steven Spielberg's science fiction series Terra Nova (2011), and Perception (2012).
Star Trek interviews
- VOY Season 4 DVD special feature "Red Alert: Amazing Visual Effects", interviewed on 21 April 2004
- VOY Season 6 DVD special feature "Red Alert: Amazing Visual Effects", interviewed on 21 April 2004
- ENT Season 4 DVD special feature "Visual Effects Magic"
Bonchune received the following Emmy Award wins and nominations in the category Outstanding Special Visual Effects for a Series:
- 1999 Emmy Award win for "Dark Frontier", shared with Adam "Mojo" Lebowitz, Elizabeth Castro, Arthur J. Codron, Dan Curry, Don Greenberg, Paul Hill, Ronald B. Moore, Mitch Suskin, Greg Rainoff, and John Teska
- 1999 Emmy Award nomination for "What You Leave Behind", shared with David Lombardi, Kevin P. Bouchez, Adam Howard, Greg Rainoff, Adam Buckner, Arthur J. Codron, Judy Elkins, Dan Curry, Steve Fong, Don Greenberg, Paul Hill, Davy T. Nethercutt, Sherry Hitch, Gary Hutzel, David Stipes, Paul Maples, Gary Monak, and Larry Younger
- 1999 Emmy Award nomination for "Timeless", shared with John Allardice, Eric Chauvin, Arthur J. Codron, Dan Curry, Don Greenberg, Sherry Hitch, Greg Rainoff, Mitch Suskin, John Teska, and Ron Thornton
- 2001 Emmy Award win for "Dark Frontier", shared with Eric Chauvin, Arthur Codron, Greg Rainoff, and John Teska
- 2002 Emmy Award win for "Broken Bow", shared with David Morton, Elizabeth Castro, Arthur Codron, Dan Curry, Steven Fong, Paul Hill, Ronald B. Moore, and Gregory Rainoff
- 2003 Emmy Award nomination for "Dead Stop", shared with Arthur Codron, Pierre Drolet, Steve Fong, Koji Kuramura, Sean Scott, John Teska, Greg Rainoff, and Mitch Suskin
- "Building and Refitting Starships", Sci-Fi & Fantasy Models, issue 32, September 1998, p. 54
- "Creating fifth season FX for Star Trek: Voyager", Sci-Fi & Fantasy Models International, issue 41, October 1999, pp. 25-26
- Star Trek: Starship Spotter, 2001 - Co-illustrator/Co-author
- USS Enterprise Owners' Workshop Manual, 2010 - Co-illustrator