(written from a Production point of view)
A partwork is a magazine format, designed to form a collection based around a particular subject. Usually heavily geared around a subscription model, partworks are typically released on a weekly, fortnightly, or monthly basis, and often take over a hundred issues to complete the collection. In the UK and Japan, the partwork format is one of the most popular magazine formats .
Several types of partwork are common:
- A reference collection, with each issue containing the magazine alone.
- A model-building collection, with each issue containing parts to contribute to the final complete model.
- A DVD collection, with each issue including a DVD of the subject series.
- A collectable model series, with each issue including a complete model.
Star Trek partwork series Edit
- Star Trek Fact Files (1997-2002)
- Star Trek: The Collector's Edition (2004-2006)
- Star Trek: The Original Series - The Collector's Edition (2007-2008)
- Star Trek: Best Episode Collection
- The Official Star Trek The Next Generation: Build the USS Enterprise NCC-1701-D (2011)
- Star Trek: The Official Starships Collection (2013 onward)