Organic technology was the result of science and engineering for the creation and usage of tools, crafts, and sometimes weapons with biological components. Like any other technology, it affected a species' ability to control and adapt to its environment. Organic materials used in the construction of organic technology could include, living organisms, organic compounds, or the products of decay from a recently living organism.
Examples of organic technology include:
- Xindi-Reptilian employment of biorifles that use organic power cells. (ENT: "The Shipment")
- The Borg by their very nature seem to possess a variety of organic technology. As cybernetic lifeforms and their goal is to enhance their biological and technological distinctiveness through the assimilation of other lifeforms and their technology. The Borg cybernetic implants are either surgically attached to the body or grown internally by nanoprobes that have been injected in the bloodstream. (TNG: "The Best of Both Worlds"; Star Trek: First Contact)
- Bio-neural gel packs are a form of biological computer technology used by Starfleet, first developed circa 2370. (VOY: "Caretaker")
- Species 8472 are very advanced and have a unique genetic makeup which they share with their bioships, living organic vessels capable of warp speed. (VOY: "Scorpion")
- During the 2360s, the Breen were known for their development of organic technology, which they employed in the construction of their spacecraft. (VOY: "Scorpion")