- Felis catus is your taxonomic nomenclature,
- An endothermic quadruped, carnivorous by nature;
- Your visual, olfactory, and auditory senses
- Contribute to your hunting skills and natural defenses.
- I find myself intrigued by your subvocal oscillations,
- A singular development of cat communications
- That obviates your basic hedonistic predilection
- For a rhythmic stroking of your fur to demonstrate affection.
- A tail is quite essential for your acrobatic talents;
- You would not be so agile if you lacked its counterbalance.
- And when not being utilized to aid in locomotion,
- It often serves to illustrate the state of your emotion.
- O Spot, the complex levels of behavior you display
- Connote a fairly well-developed cognitive array.
- And though you are not sentient, Spot, and do not comprehend,
- I nonetheless consider you a true and valued friend.
In 2369, the content of the poem replaced some files on the USS Enterprise-D's main computer when Data's personal files were accidentally uploaded to the computer during an experimental interface between it and his neural net. One of the files replaced was the text of the play Something for Breakfast. A progressive memory purge eventually corrected the problem. (TNG: "A Fistful of Datas")
- Felis catus: is your taxonomic nomenclature
- An endothermic quadruped, carnivorous by nature?