(written from a Production point of view)
Michael Backauskas is a visual effects editor, coordinator, and supervisor. He was one of the visual effects editors for Star Trek: The Motion Picture. He later joined Star Trek: The Next Generation as a Visual Effects Supervisor during the show's final season, though he became Visual Effects Coordinator shortly thereafter. He then coordinated the effects for the Star Trek: Deep Space Nine pilot episode, "Emissary", and for the Star Trek: Voyager pilot episode, "Caretaker". He continued coordinating the effects for the even-numbered episodes of Voyager''s first season (a few of which were held over for airing as part of the second season).
- 1994 for the episode "All Good Things...", shared with Dan Curry, David Stipes, Scott Rader, Adam Howard, and Erik Nash
- 1995 for the episode "Caretaker", shared with Dan Curry, David Stipes, Joe Bauer, Edward L. Williams, Scott Rader, Don Greenberg, Adam Howard, Don Lee, Robert Stromberg, John F.K. Parenteau, Joshua D. Rose, and Joshua Cushner
In addition to his work with the Star Trek franchise, Backauskas has also been a visual effects editor or assistant editor on such science fiction films as Blade Runner (which featured Joanna Cassidy), Brainstorm (directed by Douglas Trumbull and starring Louise Fletcher), and Masters of the Universe (featuring Anthony De Longis, Meg Foster, Frank Langella and Robert Duncan McNeill). He also did visual effects optical line-up for such films as Big Trouble in Little China (starring Kim Cattrall), The Hidden (starring Michael Nouri), Who Framed Roger Rabbit (featuring Joanna Cassidy and Christopher Lloyd), The Abyss (featuring Ken Jenkins), and Paramount Pictures' The Hunt for Red October (featuring Timothy Carhart, Daniel Davis, Gates McFadden, and Ned Vaughn).
In 1997, Backauskas was a visual effects editor for Digital Domain on the Academy Award-winning blockbuster Paramount film Titanic (which featured David Warner). More recently, Backauskas has worked for Rhythm & Hues as a visual effects editor on such films as Babe: Pig in the City, Scooby-Doo, The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe, Night at the Museum, The Golden Compass, Alvin and the Chipmunks: The Squeakquel (2009), Percy Jackson & the Olympians: The Lightning Thief (2010), Little Fockers (2010), Red Riding Hood (2011), Moneyball (2011), Alvin and the Chipmunks: Chipwrecked (2011), and Chronicle (2012).
Star Trek credits Edit
- "Descent, Part II" - Visual Effects Coordinator (Season 7)
- "Interface" - Visual Effects Coordinator
- "Gambit, Part II" - Visual Effects Coordinator
- "Dark Page" - Visual Effects Coordinator
- "Force of Nature" - Visual Effects Coordinator
- "Parallels" - Visual Effects Coordinator
- "Homeward" - Visual Effects Coordinator
- "Lower Decks" - Visual Effects Coordinator
- "Masks" - Visual Effects Coordinator
- "Genesis" - Visual Effects Supervisor
- "Firstborn" - Visual Effects Supervisor
- "All Good Things..." - Visual Effects Coordinator