|Memory Alpha has changed!|
Our hosting company, Wikia, has made some changes to the design and format of its wikis, to better support its advertisers, and present a more uniform look across its hosted sites. These changes went into effect on Tuesday 17 June 2008. For more information, see their page on the changes.
How does this affect Memory Alpha? Edit
- Our content has not changed - you will still be able to get the same information you always have.
- Our contributors have not changed - we remain committed to producing high-quality articles about a wide range of topics related to Star Trek.
What has changed is the way our content is displayed:
- For most of its existence, Memory Alpha has used the "Monobook" skin for its database. While logged-in users have the option to retain this skin, all visitors, anonymous users, and logged-in users who have not set this option now see a new version of the "Monaco" skin.
- Advertisers are looking for more prominent advertisements. Consequently, logged-in users may now see a 300px × 250px ad appear on article, image and category pages in the top right corner. Non-logged-in users may see additional advertisements automatically inserted into our content.
- Our infoboxes have been made larger to align with the new ad box.
- Other minor stylistic changes are taking place to better align the site with its new design.
Memory Alpha administrators Cid Highwind and Sulfur have been working to upload the new CSS files related to our changing appearance. These have been running on our Esperanto edition for the past few days, and are now active on this edition. Other language versions will be updated in the next few weeks.
There may be some "side effects" as our current page formatting and the new skin are combined, so please excuse us if things don't look quite right for the first few days. Rest assured we will be working to fix any problems that may arise.
Thank you, and we hope you continue using Memory Alpha!
-- The Memory Alpha administrators, editors, and Wikia staff, 16:49, 15 June 2008 (UTC)
- Updated 11:33, 17 June 2008 (UTC)
How to view Memory Alpha in MonobookEdit
If you would prefer to view the site in its former default skin, Monobook, please carry out the following steps:
- Log in (only registered users can set a personal skin)
- Goto the Special:Preferences page, or select 'my preferences' from the user menu at top right, in the 'More' dropdown
- Select the 'Skin' tab
- From the radio button skin selection, choose 'MonoBook' if it is not already selected
- Untick the Let the admins override my skin choice option (the Monaco skin will take precedence otherwise)
- Click the 'Save' button at the bottom of the page
You may need to clear your browser's cache to ensure the correct skin is visible.