(written from a Production point of view)
Mark A. Altman is a comic book author, having written a number of issues for Malibu Comics, including the entire Star Trek: Deep Space Nine - The Maquis: Soldier of Peace and Star Trek: Deep Space Nine - Hearts and Minds series. He also contributed a story for DC Comics.
Altman is also the author of four unauthorized books about the Star Trek saga, all of them with Edward Gross. According to the mini-biography on the back cover of Captains' Logs: The Unauthorized Complete Trek Voyages:
"Mark A. Altman is the former Los Angeles bureau chief for Cinefantastique magazine and is currently editor in chief of Sci-Fi Universe. He is also a regular writer for comic books, a member of the Television Critics Association, and has written for such publications as the Boston Globe, Film Threat, and the Manchester Guardian. Altman lives in Beverly Hills, California."While working for Cinefantastique, he contributed Star Trek articles for their themed issues, articles which were expanded into the book titles listed below. In 2003, he acquired publishing rights to the magazine, after it folded upon the death of its founder and chief editor Frederic S. Clarke, and relaunched it with Mark Gottwald under the new title CFQ in 2003. Returning to its original formula of being a critical review magazine, they were unable to regain the popularity of the magazine in its heydays and publication ceased in 2006 after 25 issues.
Star Trek credits
- DC TOS volume 2:
- "TOS Special 3" ("Echoes of Yesterday" story)
- Malibu DS9:
- Monthly series:
- Star Trek: Deep Space Nine - Hearts and Minds:
- "Terok Nor"
- Star Trek: Deep Space Nine - The Maquis: Soldier of Peace:
- Captains' Logs: The Unauthorized Complete Trek Voyages (with Edward Gross)
- Captains' Logs Supplemental - The Unauthorized Guide to the New Trek Voyages (with Edward Gross)
- The Deep Space Log Book: A First Season Companion (with Edward Gross)
- The Deep Space Log Book: A Second Season Companion (with Edward Gross)
- Charting the Undiscovered Country: The Making of Trek VI (with Edward Gross and Ron Magid)
- Creating the Next Generation: The Conception and Creation of a Phenomenon (with Edward Gross)
- Trek Navigator: The Ultimate Guide to the Entire Trek Saga (with Edward Gross)
- "Irish Smiles", The Official Star Trek: The Next Generation Magazine Vol. 12, p. 24