(written from a Production point of view)
|Author(s):||Michael Jan Friedman|
|Published:||1 July 1996 (hardcover)|
1 March 1997 (paperback)
|Pages:|| 320 (hardcover)|
|Reference(s):||ISBN 0671547798 (hardcover)|
ISBN 0671008870 (paperback)
|Running Time:||3 hours|
|Publisher:||Simon and Schuster Audioworks|
|Published:||1 July 1996|
|Reference(s):||ISBN 0671570684 (cassette)|
ASIN B0000547DS (Audible)
The truth behind the Klingon Empire's greatest warrior!
- From the book jacket
- For the last fifteen thousand years, the Klingons have revered him as the first Klingon emperor, the legendary warrior who united their people and taught them the meaning of honor. Myths and fables have grown around the memory of Kahless, but the truth of his incredible life has remained a mystery... until now.
- A clone of the original Kahless now holds the title of emperor. He thinks he knows all there is to know about his mighty ancestor, until the discovery of an ancient scroll throws the ancient stories into doubt and threatens to tear the Klingon Empire apart. Surrounded by rumors of treachery and revolt, he can trust no one – except Captain Jean-Luc Picard and Lieutenant Worf of the USS Enterprise.
- The ancient scroll reveals an unimagined past where a young Klingon warrior named Kahless risked everything to defy the tyrant Molor. At first, Kahless wishes only to preserve his honor and the safety of his loved ones, but time and circumstances push the reluctant rebel leader toward a destiny greater than any he could have imagined...
- The past collides with the present, as the true story of the historical Kahless sparks a battle for control of the Klingon Empire. Yet even if Worf and Picard can prevent a civil war, the revelations contained in the scroll ensure that the Klingon Empire – and the rest of the galaxy – will never be the same.
The book's premise is that the heretofore accepted legends of Kahless are a vast historical distortion, and that Kahless' testament is found, sparking a dispute over its authenticity.
There is a framing story regarding this revelation featuring the clone of Kahless, Picard, Worf, and Gowron in the Klingon Empire, within which is set the "true" version of the Kahless legends.
Background Information Edit
- An extract from this novel appeared in Star Trek Monthly issue 24.
- The audio adaptation by the author omits the "even chapters" of the novel that reveal the "true" events of Kahless' life. This means that the audiobook is only an adaptation of the framing story about the discovery of the scroll and the conspiracy surrounding it.
|Previous novel:||Series||Next novel:|
|Crossover|| Pocket TNG|
|Day of Honor #1: Ancient Blood|