(written from a Production point of view)
Johnny Lightning was formed in 1994 as a subsidiary of Playing Mantis and is a company primarily known for producing collectible toy cars.
It produced a line of small painted Star Trek miniatures called "Legends Of Star Trek" from 2004 until 2008, after the parent company was acquired by the RC2 Corporation. The RC2 Corporation was acquired by Tomy in 2011. Platz, the distributor of many Star Trek models in the Japanese market, re-released the line in Japan from 2011 until 2013.
The ships measured from ten to twelve centimeters long and were made of plastic while their display stands were cast in metal.
A USS Constellation, a Shuttlecraft Copernicus with "atmospheric re-entry damage", a "cloaked" "The Enterprise Incident" USS Enterprise, and a "Borgified" USS Voyager were slated for possible release but were not produced.
Legends Of Star Trek: Standard ReleasesEdit
Series One Edit
Released in 2004; packed on blue-backed cards with removable stickers; includes individually-labeled silver metal display stands
- USS Enterprise (TOS) - with TOS Command Division insignia sticker
- Klingon D7 Battle Cruiser - with Klingon trefoil insignia sticker
- Romulan Bird-of-Prey (TOS) - with Romulan insignia sticker
- Shuttlecraft Galileo (TOS) - with TOS Sciences Division insignia sticker
- USS Reliant - with movie-era Starfleet insignia sticker
- Enterprise NX-01 - with Enterprise mission patch sticker
Series Two: Red Alert Edit
- USS Enterprise (refit)
- USS Enterprise (refit) - with battle damage from Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan
- USS Enterprise (TOS) - with battle damage
- Klingon D7 Battle Cruiser (cloaked) - clear plastic
- USS Reliant - with battle damage from Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan
- Enterprise NX-01 - with battle damage from "Azati Prime"
Series Three: Uncharted Territories Edit
Released in 2006; packed on purple-backed cards; includes individually-labeled black metal display stands
- USS Enterprise-D
- Future USS Enterprise-D - from "All Good Things..."
- USS Voyager
- Borg cube - includes pegs to allow more cubes to dock and form larger cube
- ISS Enterprise (NX-01) - mirror universe repaint of Enterprise NX-01
- Romulan Bird-of-Prey (cloaked) - clear plastic
Series Four: Battlestations! Edit
Released in 2007; packed on red and black-backed cards; includes individually-labeled black metal display stands
- USS Enterprise-D - with re-entry and battle damage from Star Trek Generations
- USS Voyager - with lowered landing gear
- USS Majestic - repaint of USS Reliant with "saucer on fire" battle damage
- USS Defiant - repaint of USS Enterprise (TOS) with phaser blasts
- USS Enterprise-A - with attached "phaser blasts" and pearlescent white ("White Lightning") base color
- Borg Cube with attached Borg sphere - from Star Trek: First Contact
Series Five: Sacrifice Edit
Released in 2008; packed on red-backed cards with purple stripe on right; includes individually-labeled black metal display stands
- Enterprise NX-01 - with additional silver "aztecing" paint detailing on hull
- Klingon D7 Battle Cruiser - with explosions and "torpedoes"
- Shuttlecraft Galileo II - repaint of Shuttlecraft Galileo
- USS Enterprise (refit) following self destruct sequence - extreme "damage" to saucer section in particular
Series Six: Ships Of The Line Edit
Released in November 2008; packed on red-backed cards with green stripe on right; includes individually-labeled black metal display stands
- Borg Cube - with explosions on hull
- USS Yamato - repaint of USS Enterprise-D
- USS Excalibur - repaint of USS Enterprise (TOS)
- Romulan D7 Battle Cruiser (TAS) - repaint of Klingon D7 Battle Cruiser with Romulan markings
Legends Of Star Trek: White Lightning Releases Edit
Johnny Lightning's Legends of Star Trek ships have been released in both standard versions (as listed above) and in rare "White Lightning" variants with alternate paint schemes. They were randomly packed into cases shipped to retailers and made up "less than two percent" of the production run. Series Five "White Lightning" packaging has a white stripe covering part of the purple stripe on the right side of the package. All other White Lightning releases were sold in standard packaging.
Series One Edit
- All ships are painted pearlescent white instead of the standard base color
Series Two Edit
- All ships have an identical paint scheme to the standard releases but a tiny Starfleet "Delta Shield" is painted on the ship's lower hull
Series Three Edit
- Future USS Enterprise-D - cloaked, clear plastic
- ISS Enterprise (NX-01) - cloaked, clear plastic
- Borg Cube - green plastic
- Romulan Bird-of-Prey - Romulan bird logo is painted on clear "cloaked" body
- USS Enterprise-D - painted pearlescent white
- USS Voyager - painted pearlescent white
Series Four Edit
- All ships are painted silver instead of the standard base color
Series Five Edit
- Columbia NX-02 - repaint of Series Five Enterprise NX-01
- Shuttlecraft Columbus - repaint of Shuttlecraft Galileo II with pearlescent white base color
- USS Enterprise (TOS) auto-destruct - with orange, yellow, and red painted detail in the "damaged" primary hull
- Klingon D7 Battle Cruiser - painted purple detailing on top hull including bridge, no molded "torpedoes" or "explosions"
Series Six Edit
- Borg Cube - painted silver and green with orange "explosions" on hull
- USS Excalibur - painted pearlescent white instead of standard base color
- USS Yamato - painted pearlescent white instead of standard base color
- Romulan D7 Battle Cruiser - painted pearlescent white instead of standard base color