(written from a Production point of view)
Hot Wheels is a brand name used for many of Mattel's diecast toys and was introduced in 1968.
Mattel, one of the world's largest toy makers, announced in 2008 that it had acquired licensing to produce merchandise based on the Star Trek franchise.
Including repaints, a total of twenty diecast metal and ABS plastic Star Trek starship miniatures have been released under the brand since 2009. Each ship is said to be in "1:50 scale" (in reference to diecast automobile scales), measures from ten to twenty centimeters in length, and is packaged with an adjustable plastic stand.
Three smaller "1:64 scale" versions of the USS Enterprise were released in 2013 and another is slated to follow in 2015. A "1:64 scale" USS Vengeance model and six 1:64 scale Star Trek-themed diecast cars and trucks were released in 2014.
1:50 Scale Star Trek Releases Edit
Series 1 Edit
- Released in May 2009
- USS Enterprise NCC-1701-D
- USS Enterprise NCC-1701 Refit
- USS Reliant NCC-1864
- Klingon Bird-of-Prey
- USS Enterprise NCC-1701 (alternate reality) - released in September 2009
San Diego Comic-Con International 2009 Exclusive Edit
- Released in July 2009
Series 2 Edit
- Released in January 2010
- USS Enterprise NCC-1701 (alternate reality) - "battle damaged" repaint
- USS Enterprise NCC-1701-D - "battle damaged" repaint
- USS Enterprise NCC-1701 Refit - re-release of first version
- USS Reliant NCC-1864 - "battle damaged" repaint
- Klingon Bird-of-Prey - "battle damaged" repaint
Series 3 Edit
- Released in September 2010 as a six ship set in the Star Trek Scene It? Ultimate Fan Pack Limited Edition which retailed exclusively at Costco Warehouses throughout North America.
- Enterprise NX-01
- USS Enterprise NCC-1701 (TOS)
- USS Enterprise NCC-1701-A - "battle damaged" repaint of the USS Enterprise (refit)
- USS Saratoga NCC-1887 - repaint of the USS Reliant
- HMS Bounty Klingon Bird-of-Prey - repaint of the Klingon Bird-of-Prey
Series 4 Edit
- Released in May 2013 as "2013 Wave 1"
USS Vengeance Blu-Ray Premium Edit
Paramount Home Entertainment's Walmart-exclusive SteelBook Blu-ray release of Star Trek Into Darkness included the USS Vengeance model as a retailer premium. Play.com also retailed the model with the limited edition (of 4000) exclusive SteelBook version of the Blu-ray 3D. Both editions were released in September 2013.
- The Mattel Design Center produced SLA prototypes for a 41 to 45 mm long Hot Wheels starship line in 2003. The company planned to sell the diecast versions of the ships in 2-packs alongside their 1:64 offerings but this line was never licensed or produced.
- When first released, the Series 1 USS Enterprise (refit) had "USS Enterprise NCC-1701-A" erroneously printed on its packaging. This packaging was subsequently corrected for Series 1 wave revisions and Series 2. The Series 3 USS Enterprise-A is correctly identified on the ship's hull and on its packaging.
- The USS Enterprise (alternate reality) prototype was mistakenly produced with red bussard collectors causing a four month release delay for the first production version of the ship. The color was corrected to blue before retail release.
- The Enterprise NX-01's individual packaging erroneously identified the ship as the "USS Enterprise NX-01". However, the ship is identified correctly on the outer Ultimate Fan Pack packaging.
- Information on the packaging of the USS Saratoga erroneously describes the USS Saratoga seen in Star Trek: Deep Space Nine. The registry number "NCC-1867" was printed on the model's hull but this registry number was incorrect for any incarnation of the ship. The correct registry (NCC-1887) was correctly printed on the packaging.
- The Series 4 D4 class Klingon patrol ship was packaged as a "Klingon Bird-of-Prey" but this designation for the ship was not explicitly stated in the 2013 film.
1:64 Scale Star Trek Releases Edit
Hot Wheels released a smaller version of the USS Enterprise in its 7.5 cm "1:64 scale" mainline "HW Imagination Future Fleet" series in February 2013. A "battle damaged" repaint of this model was released in the same series in June 2013. The ship is slated for a 2015 re-release in the mainline "HW City Space Team" series.
Another version of this ship with a more detailed paint deco was released in November 2013 in the first wave of the 2014 "Retro Entertainment" line.
A "1:64 scale" version of the USS Vengeance was released in the 2014 mainline "HW City Planet Heroes" series.
Star Trek Vehicle Releases Edit
Six 1:64 scale diecast vehicles were released in 2014 as part of Hot Wheels' "Pop Culture" line. These vehicles and their packaging featured artwork based on Gold Key's classic Star Trek comics.
- Captain Kirk '49 Ford C.O.E.
- Spock '59 Chevy Delivery
- Dr. McCoy '38 Dodge Airflow
- Sulu Midnight Otto
- Scotty Custom '52 Chevy
- Lt. Uhura '88 Jeep Wagoneer