(written from a Production point of view)
Hot Wheels is a brand name used for many of Mattel's die-cast toys and was first utilized in 1968.
Mattel, one of the world's largest toy makers, announced in 2008 that it had acquired a license to produce merchandise based on the Star Trek franchise.
Including repaints, a total of twenty die-cast metal and ABS plastic Star Trek starship miniatures have been released under the brand. Each ship is said to be in "1:50 scale" (in reference to diecast automobile scales), measures from ten to twenty centimeters in length (bow to stern), and is packaged with an adjustable plastic stand.
Two smaller "1:64 scale" starship miniatures were released in 2013 and another is planned for 2014. Six Star Trek-themed 1:64 diecast cars and trucks will also be released in 2014.
Series 1 Edit
- Released in May 2009
- USS Enterprise (refit) - mis-labeled as "USS Enterprise NCC-1701-A"
- USS Enterprise -D
- USS Reliant
- Klingon Bird-of-Prey
- USS Enterprise (alternate reality) - released in September 2009
San Diego Comic-Con International 2009 Exclusive Edit
- Released in July 2009
- USS Enterprise NCC-1701 (refit) - with "under construction" deco in partially transparent "Spacedock" display case
Series 2 Edit
- Released in January 2010
- USS Enterprise (alternate reality) - "battle damaged" repaint
- USS Enterprise (refit) - identical re-release of first version; packaging identifies ship correctly
- USS Enterprise-D - "battle damaged" repaint
- USS Reliant - "battle damaged" repaint
- Klingon Bird-of-Prey - "battle damaged" repaint
Series 3 Edit
- Released in September 2010 as a six ship set in the Star Trek Scene It? Ultimate Fan Pack Limited Edition and retailed at Costco Warehouses in Canada and the U.S.
- Enterprise NX-01
- USS Enterprise (TOS)
- USS Enterprise-A - "battle damaged" repaint of USS Enterprise (refit); registry markings and packaging match
- USS Saratoga - repaint of USS Reliant
- HMS Bounty - repaint of Klingon Bird-of-Prey with "HMS Bounty" marked on the bottom of the ship's hull
Series 4 Edit
- Released in May 2013 as "2013 Wave 1"
Other Star Trek releases Edit
Hot Wheels also released a smaller version of the USS Enterprise (alternate reality) in its 7.5 cm "1:64 scale" Mainline "Imagination" series in February 2013. A "battle damaged" repaint of this model was released in June 2013. A version with a more detailed paint deco is slated for a 2014 release as part of the "Retro Entertainment" line.
Six diecast Star Trek-themed vehicles will also be released in 2014 as part of the "Pop Culture" line. These include a '49 Ford C.O.E., a '59 Chevy Delivery, and an '88 Jeep Waggoneer.
- When first released, the packaging for the USS Enterprise (refit) was erroneously printed as "USS Enterprise NCC-1701-A". The packaging was corrected for later Series 1 wave revisions and Series 2.
- The USS Enterprise (alternate reality) prototype was mistakenly produced with red bussard collectors which caused a four month release delay for the first production version of the ship. The color was corrected to blue before retail release.
- The Enterprise NX-01's packaging mis-identifies the ship as the "USS Enterprise NX-01"