The main lyrics of "Heart of Oak" are as follows:
- Come, cheer up, my lads, 'tis to glory we steer,
- To add something new to this wonderful year;
- To honor we call you, as freemen not slaves,
- For who are so free as the sons of the waves?
The chorus of the song is as follows:
- Heart of oak are our ships, jolly tars are our men,
- we always are ready; Steady, boys, steady!
- We'll fight and we'll conquer again and again!
In the 2320s, "Heart of Oak" was a popular song at Starfleet Academy and was often sung after toasts. In 2366, an alien copy of Jean-Luc Picard sung "Heart of Oak" in Ten Forward of the USS Enterprise as part of a bizarre experiment to observe the various aspects of leadership among humanoid cultures. (TNG: "Allegiance")