A bionic prosthetic is an bio-electronic implant designed to emulate and/or replace the function of the damaged/destroyed organ or limb. Some species (such as the Borg) made use of bio-electric devices to assist, specialize in a certain area, or completely replace an organ or limb whether it was damaged or not.
Below is a listing of characters in the Star Trek universe that have made use of bionic prosthetics.
- Geordi La Forge (VISOR, bionic optical implants)
- Jean-Luc Picard (artificial heart) (TNG: "Tapestry")
- Worf (artificial spine) (TNG: "Ethics")
- Seven of Nine (prosthetic eye, various Borg implants) (VOY: "Scorpion, Part II")
- Nog (Bionic Leg) (DS9: "The Siege of AR-558")
- Borg Queen (artificial Borg body) (Star Trek: First Contact)
- Riley Frazier (arm)
- Orum (optical implant)
- Icheb, Mezoti, Azan, and Rebi (reinforced cardiac organs)
- Marika Wilkarah, Lansor, and P'Chan (artificial collective)
Borg: The Borg purposely modified limbs by either adding or extracting certain parts in order to enhance them for specific tasks.
Bynar: When a Bynar was born, a surgeon removed the child's parietal lobe and replaced it with a synaptic processor. Doctor Phlox saw the procedure performed when he encountered the Bynars. He likened the Bynar system to, unknown at the time, a benign form of the Borg Collective. (ENT: "Regeneration")