The Bajoran written language consists of square symbols which are composed of thick lines. There are a large number of different symbols which can be used in any of eight rotations (flipped and rotated each and every way). Bajoran tends to be written in horizontal lines, although it can be written vertically. (DS9: "Shadows and Symbols")
Bajoran writing is said to be ideographic, that is, each character represents a single thought or word pictured. Most forms of written Bajoran share some root ideograms, as evidenced by the Reckoning Tablet. Each ancient Bajoran symbol translated into a pair of nearly identical modern Bajoran symbols. (DS9: "The Reckoning")
Keiko O'Brien's classroom featured a chart depicting the English, the Ferengi, the Cardassian, and the Bajoran alphabet. The chart listed some twenty-five Bajoran language symbols. (DS9: "The Nagus", "In the Hands of the Prophets", "Cardassians")
Established words and phrases
- Amoran - banished (DS9: "The Assignment")
- Balik(am) - "go away" or "get lost!", written and pronounced like the filipino word for "go back", which would also fit as a translation as seen on the scene (TNG: "Ensign Ro")
- Bantaca - name for a traditional spire made out of thousands of interlocked stones, marked with the coordinates of the town or city they represent (DS9: "Rapture")
- Boryhas - term for ghosts or spirits of the dead (TNG: "The Next Phase")
- D'jarras - ancient Bajoran caste system (DS9: "Accession")
- Duranja - lamp for the dead: candle suspended by chains from four pillars (DS9: "Shakaar")
- Ha'dara - Home of light (VOY: "Flesh and Blood")
- Ha'mara - religious festival to celebrate the arrival of the Emissary of the Prophets (DS9: "Starship Down")
- Itanu - ceremony carried out when a child reaches the age of fourteen (DS9: "Accession")
- Kejal - freedom (VOY: "Flesh and Blood")
- Kosst - to be (DS9: "The Assignment")
- Pagh - the life energy or soul of a person (DS9: "Emissary", et al.)
- Pagh'tem'far - a sacred vision granted by the Prophets (DS9: "Rapture")
- Peldar Joi - greeting used during the Gratitude Festival (DS9: "Fascination")
- Shawn - swamp, rhymes with Irish name Seán (DS9: "Let He Who Is Without Sin...")
- Ranjen - a monk, usually a title given as an honor (DS9: "The Reckoning")
- Prylar - a monk or priest (DS9: "The Collaborator")
- Vedek - a senior member of the Bajoran clergy (DS9: "In the Hands of the Prophets")
- Kai - a leader of the Bajoran clergy (DS9: "Emissary")
- Kosst Amojan - also known as Koss'moran, another name for the Pah-wraiths; translates as the banished ones (DS9: "The Assignment")
- Pagh - the eternal soul (DS9: "Emissary")
- Pagh-tem-far - a spiritual vision sent by the Prophets (DS9: "Rapture")
- Kellipate - a measure of distance (DS9: "Progress")
- Tessipate - a measure of land area used on Bajor (DS9: "Progress", "Children of Time")
- Kerripate - a fraction of a tessipate (DS9: "Children of Time")
- Raka-ja ut shala morala... ema bo roo kana... uranak... ralanon (NAME)... propeh va nara ehsuk shala-kan vunek ...
- (do not let him walk alone... guide him on his journey... protect... the one named (NAME)... take him into the gates of heaven... )
- Ahn-kay ya, ay-ya vasu. Coh-ma-ra, di-nay-ya..
- Tesra Peldor impatri bren. Bentel vetan ullon sten..
- Jia'kaja, tre'nu'tol'a rem... La'por i'lanu kos... I'nar tan'a'tali nor....
- Zhia'kaluh tar'eh anu suur... te'von, aka'lu rez... ka'vor,mat'ana kel..
- Boray pree hadokee. Tolata impara boresh. Preeya (GROOM'S NAME), Preeya (BRIDE'S NAME), abrem varo atel..
- lata impara no takash... with humility and gratitude, we accept this gift... Veshanoo yavar ha iktasho... the sacred Orb of Prophecy.
- (Prayer leader) Tera dak ihsehelm ran embah... (ALL) de-ram ta-MEEN!
- Meeh rak Dorah Pah-wran... Ee-toi... Velah-slah... Pah-wran amar... Pah-wran Evak-too...
- Tarna pur-ono ull-kess pah-ran. lano ka'la bo'shar lanu.
- Meek rak dorrah Pah-wran... Yelim cha ono kosst amojan... shay ta-hel ter-rah no'vala de-ram... aka'lu far che...